CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOG LAYOUTS, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Links Inside Posts

I just wanted to let you know that there are links to websites or pics inside the posts. It will be the pink colored words inside the post. That way you don't miss the links to click on as well. have fun reading.

Friday, February 27, 2009

Conversation Heart barrett's--Melinda

First off, lemme introduce myself :-) My name is Melinda and I grew up in SW Washington state. I went to college in Rexburg, ID where I met Crystal who, when we recently got re-acquainted with each other via FaceBook, invited me to contribute to this blog! My 'craftiness' has gone through phases, when I was little I thought I was VERY good at everything.....then I grew up and realized that I was really only good at a FEW things....and now I'm honing those few things. And since I haven't perused this blog much yet on my own, I'm not totally sure of what to put on here, but I thought I'd do a pseudo tutorial with this one. Onto the craft:


I got into crocheting when a former roommate taught me (she had learned from her adopted grandma in Rexburg) and I have really come to enjoy it. I don't get to do it very often, but for me it's a lot easier than knitting.

A friend of mine does amazing ribbon hair clips for girls and that's what got me started. One of these days I'll post about the curly ribbon ones. Anyhow....I found a pattern for a crocheted heart (click here) and made one exactly as shown for practice and to get a feel for it. Since it's quite a bit BIGGER than a hair barret should be....I modified it by only going 9 rows before making the top part of the hearts and chaining the border all the way around. (I used crochet thread and I think a 1.9cm hook...or 2.1 I can't remember, it all depends on what size you want). I then used a needle and red crochet thread to sew the word "Love" onto the pink ones. Then I used a high temp glue gun (lower temps will cause the ribbon to fall off) to glue ribbon around the outside edge of a double prong clip (can be found at any beauty supply store, such as Sally's or Peerless) and then arranged the hearts the way I wanted and hot glued them onto the ribbon on the clip and voila!

I have to say that I think these are one of my most favorite accomplishments of the recent past!

1 comments:

Adam Winter Family said...

Very cute. Good job on the barrets and good job on the post. That's exactlly how it's done.

Post a Comment